Wednesday 25 April 2018

I would sail 5000 miles, and I would sail 5000 more...



Edit (5/21/18)- Ooops I had a mistake in my calculation.  We only hit 4000 nautical miles on our crossing back to the US.  I'll update again when I actually hit the big one.

Edit (6/5/18) I hit 5000 miles on the trip to Solomons, MD

My apologies to The Proclaimers (above) but I had to modify their lyric and make a special post for this as I didn't want it to be buried in another post.  On our crossing from Bimini to Cape Canaveral we hit 5000 nautical miles since leaving Hamilton in July. For sailors, 5000 nautical miles is a milestone.  Sailors have traditions of marking voyages with tattoos - one of those traditions is a swallow for every 5000 miles. I will definitely be making an appointment when I get home.

Bonus trivia: the song I'm Gonna Be (500 miles) was the first song that Reg and I danced to on our first date.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, where are you planning to put the swallow? On second thoughts that might be TMI for me to handle.S

    ReplyDelete