Tuesday 17 October 2017

Nashville

The main reason for our long stay at Green Turtle Bay was a side trip to Nashville.  We had originally planned on taking the boat there to kill time until our insurance allowed us into the Gulf of Mexico on December 1st.  That restriction has now been lifted and there is no reason to dilly-dally so we rented a car, left the boat, and spent a night in Nashville (ah, air conditioning and unlimited hot water!).

We told Riley and Sam that we were taking them to a country review at the Grand Ole Opry. They were very good and didn't complain but Riley sure was happy when we surprised him with a Nashville Predators NHL game instead! I am not a hockey fan but the Nashville game was lots of fun.  It was more like an English football match with enthusiastic singing and chanting. We were up in the cheap seats and I think there were quite a few season's tickets holders around us since they all appeared to know one another.

I enjoyed the hockey much more live than on TV.  With this view I really got a sense of the whole game and not just the bits the broadcaster chooses to show which are sometimes out of context for a neophyte like me.
 Our only other planned stop in Nashville was the Johnny Cash museum where the kids were surprised to learn that songs used to be released on vinyl one at a time.  The expression 'b-side' was completely foreign to them.



I was completely enchanted by the neon signs that overwhelmed the senses on Broadway.  I wish the street could have been closed and free of cars and people so I could have photographed them all.






Most of the rest of the time was spent soaking up the atmosphere

Spotted on the back of a jacket.  Funny how it didn't make me feel safer.


One of many party bikes.  Cycle around town getting drunk.


Another reminded that we are in the South


Canadian country music. Or possibly American - I can't tell one hockey sweater from another.


We found out in Milwaukee that Sam is cooler than The Fonz.
Turns out he is also cooler than Elvis.
While we were back in civilization, Riley decided to chop his beautiful locks.

Before...




... after.
We also found time to buy a few souvenirs.

My stylish new PJs.
All-in-all we had a blast in Nashville and I would recommend it as a vacation destination.  I think it will be a place Reg and I will visit again, perhaps on the motorcycles.

3 comments:

  1. Now this is my kind of blog, lots of goodtimes and pictures to prove it. Two comments, when did Sam start to look like the Bard of Avon, and thank goodness those are pj's, I missed the small print the first time I saw them.

    When do you get your sails back?

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam has promised his girlfriend that the scruffy hair and the beard will soon be a thing of the past!

      Delete
  2. Awesome blog Amy! I fell behind and I'm still catching up. LOL! I love all the stories and pictures.

    ReplyDelete