Sunday 19 November 2017

New Orleans

We didn't sail all the way down the Mississippi to New Orleans but found time for a side trip when we were told by the boat yard in Mobile that we would have to wait a week to get our mast back.  We rented a car and shared an Air B&B with Ed and Shannon which worked out wells as Shannon is very familiar with the city so she was able to show us all the sights with very little effort on our part.

The Air B&B was close to Louis Armstrong Park:






We did all the usual touristy stuff like The French Quarter:


I expected to see corseted ladies of the evening draped over the balcony...
...but I guess the buildings are pretty enough without them.
Lots of music to stop and listen to
Lots of fun bands to watch

Lots of cool looking people to watch watching the bands.
This guy's oversize coat had elaborate embroidery on the cuffs.

But after dark is when the French Quarter shines








The large shadow of Jesus was a
lttle intimidating.
Being in the French Quarter also means seafood and bourbon.

This was when they were near the end of their bourbon flights!


While in the French quarter the boys and I had our palms read.  Just between Sam and Riley I am going to have between 5 and 8 grandchildren!

Sam, Reg, and I did a hop-on hop-off bus tour and visited the Lafayette cemetery.  We were there late in the day and I was terrified that we might miss closing and be stuck there all night!



We also went out for dinner with live jazz.  Shannon found a place for us on Frenchman St. (I think - hopefully she will read this and correct me if I'm wrong) where the boys were allowed in.

Unfortunately we only had 2 nights to spare for this trip.  Ed and Shannon were eager to be on their way east and we received a call that due to a cancellation we could get our mast back!!

I'll even miss the NOLA graffiti.




No comments:

Post a Comment